Mental Health and Addiction
The Niagara Catholic District School Board, through the charisms of faith, social justice, support and leadership, recognizes and honours the responsibility of the entire community to reach out in faith, hope and love to serve
students and staff struggling with mental health and addiction challenges. At the Pope Francis Centre, there are programs and supports to ensure the mental wellness of our students.
• Access to counselling and social work services provided by our Social Workers. This may also include drop-in sessions for the students. Social worker drop in sessions will be available two mornings per week.
• Access to drop in sessions with a Mental Health and Addiction counsellor from Community Addiction Services of Niagara. This counsellor will be situated at the Pope Francis Centre two mornings per week.
• Support from two Child and Youth Workers to assist with emotional and self-regulation. Programming will also be implemented.
• Access to programs that will allow for our students to target individual needs and interests. These programs will include working with the Child and Youth workers to learn life skills (i.e.: cooking and gardening), and leisure activities (art lessons, YMCA).
• The Pope Francis Centre will have various community partners visiting the site, to engage students in various activities. These activities will include job gym through the John Howard Society, and guest
speakers from various agencies.
• The Pope Francis Centre recognizes the alignment between physical wellness and mental wellness. The Centre will provide physical activity equipment and activities (Sparking Life, weights, cardio equipment, and a ropes course) to allow the students to cope through physical activity.
All trade-marks are owned or used under license by Niagara Catholic School Board ©2016